I am particularly interested in usage-based and functionalist theories of language acquisition. Some of my current research examines aspects of Spanish as a heritage language.
The courses I regularly teach at UCSC are:
- Spanish 150 (Introduction to Hispanic Linguistics)
- Spanish 153 (Spanish as a Second Language)
- Spanish 114 (Advanced Conversation and Composition)
- APLX 101 (Second Language Acquisition)
- APLX 135/201 (Second Language Teaching Methodology)
In July 2014, I began a three-year term as Chair of the Department of Languages and Applied Linguistics.